A Northwood man died Sunday at an area hospital after an apparent cooking fire.
A Northwood man died Sunday at an area hospital after an apparent cooking fire, according to Northwood Fire Deputy Chief Randy Roslin.
Kyle Kelly, 31, was found in 4307 Woodville Rd., after a fire was reported at about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, according to the Northwood Police Department.
Mr. Kelly was taken to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center for burns, where he was pronounced deceased, according to Deputy Chief Roslin. Autopsy results were not immediately available as toxicology results, specifically for carbon monoxide levels, were still pending.
Initial findings indicate the fire started in the kitchen, as Mr. Kelly was cooking on the stove, Deputy Chief Roslin said. One of the last text messages Mr. Kelly sent indicated he was cooking fried chicken, the deputy chief said.
Mr. Kelly was found near the front windows of the residence, and it appears he may have been trying to get out, Deputy Chief Roslin said.
Deputy Chief Roslin said there were smoke detectors in the residence, but the batteries were removed.
“It may have helped him a little bit, it’s hard to say,” Deputy Chief Roslin said.
No firefighters were injured, and there were no problems battling the blaze.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office was called to the scene and the Northwood Fire Department is waiting for the final report on the cause of the fire.
Damage was primarily done to the second floor, where Mr. Kelly lived, and there was water damage to a business on the first floor, according to the deputy chief.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.